Project: “Establishment of Climate Friendly Schools in Tirana!” – Phase 1
Time: 3 Years (1 January 2020 – 31 December 2022)
Partners: Ministry for Environment Energy and Climate Protection of the Niedersachsen Federation – Germany; Bread for the World (BfdW) – Germany.
Implementation partners: DEV-AID Organization, Tirana. The Ministry of Education, Sports and Youth, Tirana Municipality, Primary Education of Administrative Unit of Kashar-Tirana, Administrative Unit of Kashar-Tirana
Assisting partners: The Ministry of Education, Sports and Youth, Tirana Municipality, Primary Education of Administrative Unit of Kashar-Tirana.
Main Goal: Empowering the new generation in coping with difficulties arising from climate change.
Objective 1: Establishment of Environmetal and Climate Friendly Schools.
Objective 2: Replication of the same model in other schools.
Objective 3: The local community will be friendlier towards the environment as a result of children’s actions and engagement.
This project aims to create and deliver a climate friendly innovative program for 9-year school levels and implements this program in three schools in Kashar (as pilot schools), turning them into “Climate Friendly Schools” through:
– Drafting a non-formal educational manual named “Climate Protection and Potentials for Action” related to the causes of climate change, consequences, challenges and individual and societal possibilities to tackle climate change.
– Implementing this manual with the pupils of three of 9years schools of Kashar, aiming to educate the children and youth of today, as one of the best ways to address the climate problems that we face and try to mitigate the consequences.
– Developing and delivering practical hours to put in practice climate friendly actions, such as setting up schools’ green gardens, dividing waste and producing goods with recycled materials, getting use of the alternative energy and construct solar panels for heating with recycled aluminum cans, etc.
– Establishing a Climate Friendly Committee (Eco-Group) composed of pupils and teachers, to help implement and monitor the steps of the project and pass this experience on to other schools and future generations that should result in changes to the outlook for the future.
– Organizing community climate friendly clubs and community activities in each school in order to include the parents and community members and keep them close to pupils’ work, in order to get their active engagement in assisting the practical work of the project and increase their awareness.
Indicators related to objective 1:
Non – formal educational manual “Climate Protection and Potentials for Action” as well as its inclusion in extracurricular activities.
- Cycle of informative activities/workshops on “Environmental and climate education”;
- Placement of distinct bins for waste separation and recycling in the premises of three selected schools;
- Cycle of activities/workshops for waste separation and recycling;
- Exhibitions for the community with pupils’ works created during recycling workshops;
- Creation of green spaces in schoolyards and the cycle of informative and practical activities/workshops: “Bio-diversity and cultivation of organic products”;
- Cycle of activities/workshops for “Bio-diversity and cultivation of organic products”;
- Cycle of informative and practical activities/workshops “Using alternative energy and assembling a simple solar panel for heating in indoor conditions”;
- Emblem of “Climate Friendly Schools”
Indicators related to objective 2:
- Establishment of a Climate Friendly Committee (Eco-Group)
Since the beginning of the project will be the establishment of a Climate Friendly Committee (Eco-Group), for each school. This group will consist of students and teachers. These groups aim to increase the level of possession and transmission of this model to other schools in the area.
- Ecological Groups Periodic Meetings
It is planned by the project to develop a cycle of informative activities for members of Ecological Groups to become transmitters of this model in other schools and in the community.
- Cycle of informative activities for members of Ecological Groups to become delivers of this model in other schools and in the community.
- Community awareness meetings and open discussions.
These activities will take place once a month in the premises of each of the schools included in the project. These activities will be led by students supervised by project staff.
- Environmentally friendly community clubs
In each school, once a month meetings will be held with parents and community members or the so-called “Climate and Environment Friendly Community Groups” in order to actively engage parents and community members to join in the practical work of their children, to turn these schools into models.